This post will build on last week’s post about How to Promote Your Music on Social Media.
This week let’s talk about Content Marketing for Musicians and where to start!
So the first thing you need is content. But how do you create content?
Well, you’ll need to do a little bit of work.
First, start paying attention to the pages that you follow. What are they posting about? What are they talking about? When are they posting? And how are they interacting with their followers? Also, how much are they talking about themselves versus other musicians versus other topics?
A few notes about posts. No one likes a page that only asks for your money in every post. So you are going to have to talk about other things and you are going to have to do that about 80% of the time versus the other 20%, which is when you’ll be selling. You’ll want to create a community, not yell at people to buy your stuff constantly.
Now that you’ve taken notes on what some other pages are doing let’s talk about you. Determine three to five topics that you like to talk about on a consistent basis. One of these will be the band, your music. You can also talk about your influences, your friends’ bands, your side projects, et cetera. You can talk about family if that is an important value to the band. You could talk about your equipment. If you’re a gearhead, chances are some of your fans are too. You can also talk about your merchandise, the creation of it, the designs, and so on.
Once you have your three to five topics determined it’s time to do a brain dump of all the possible things you could talk about on those three to five topics. Get out a sheet of paper, start writing down everything and anything, no matter what.Don’t second guess on anything here, just write as you think of things. It’s good to get everything out of your head and onto paper where you can see it all.
Now you’re going to organize that list into four categories: connection, engagement, education/authority, and sales.
Connection is going to be the items on the list that you can use storytelling to connect with your fans. For example, maybe you just saw a new movie that you know is popular among your fans. This connects you to them when you talk about it.
Engagement is meant to drive up your engagement on your post. For example, you have three new designs for cover art and you’re not sure which one you like the most. Create a post with a poll and ask fans to vote on which one they like the best. These kinds of posts tend to generate a lot of engagement for your page, which looks good to the social media platform that you are posting on.
Education or authority posts are where you are educating your fans on something about the band or showing your authority on a subject. For example, you have a new piece of equipment you are using. You can do a video on the new equipment and why you bought it and what it does. Explain why you’re using it and what effect you are trying to have on
the song or songs you are writing and performing with it. Authority posts can also be past shows, behind the scenes, how you edit your videos, things that show your authority or educate the fans.
Sales are your ticket sales, album sales, and merch sales. Anything that’s asking for money from your fans. And I’ll say it again. Sales posts are only going to be 20% of your content. The other three categories will make up 80% of your content.
Now, take a picture of your brain dump paper full of your ideas and tag me @Rockbition on Instagram or Facebook so I can see it.
Leave a Reply